Monday, August 1, 2011

Living Through the Cycle

This summer, I've been reading from the Book of Psalms during my quiet times (one-on-one personal time with God). I've been very encouraged by it especially in light of my support raising process because the Psalms capture the emotions and feelings of this roller coaster ride so perfectly.

Why?

As I read them, I noticed the same 3 themes constantly appearing over and over again. Here's how it usually plays out: the author desperately cries out for God's presence in a dead-end situation (Psalm 22), discovers peace and refuge in God's comfort (Psalm 23), and joyfully rejoices in God's strength and deliverance (Psalm 24). Isn't it interesting how it's always in this cycle?

What's odd is that I find myself going through this same cycle! Not just once, but all the time. I always fear that I will never get through this situation, always doubt that God can bring me out, and always amazed that God actually delivers me through. Well, I'm glad that God is greater than my fears and doubts combined!

But it doesn't end there. What is most interesting isn't how often I doubt God (though you'd think I've learned my lesson by now right?) but how faithful God is. Just listen:
"God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam,
though the mountains tremble at its swelling."
Psalm 46:1-3

A promise that never lets me down or disappoints. So powerful that He promises to be there, even past the time our Earth crumbles. Think about that! I'm learning more and more that there's nothing in this world that won't disappoint me. And it might take something beyond this world to not let me down. So if God does in fact promise these things, then I think I just found the greatest joy that can ever be offered.

No comments:

Post a Comment