Friday, December 21, 2012

Winter Break Preparations

Winter break comes at a good time for me. This past semester was challenging and I was beginning to feel the drain of work piling up. I thought my first year was tough enough as it was. It was a sweet feeling to see God's strength push me through the finish line and come out the other side of my "rookie" year with Epic. 

Since my summer was pretty jam packed with raising support and overseas missions, I didn't have much time to sit and prepare for this upcoming year. Thankfully, my team has been great at picking each other up and encouraging one another. I'm totally grateful for the three other interns on the team and a mature student leadership team. All that to say, winter break is finally here and I'm jumping into it head on. 

Winter break is similar to how I would imagine a pro athlete approaches his offseason. My high school basketball coach always told me the most important season is the summer, because that's the time when a player improves his skills and gets into shape. If you're trying to do those two things when the season starts, you're already playing catch up. In the same way, this winter break will be crucial in preparing for my upcoming semester. We have a lot of great pieces in place - a Bible study of men hungry for the Word every week, a student leader group willing to be teachable, and many pockets of unreached groups on campus. My hope for this break is to have small group content prepared already, and a few ideas for outreach. Most importantly (and most needed) is a deeper relationship with Jesus. Because understanding and experiencing that will be the biggest key to a winter break well spent.

"And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." - Ephesians 3:17-19

No comments:

Post a Comment